Ready for Kindergarten?
Welcome to Alexander County Schools!
Your child is about to begin an amazing adventure where they will meet new friends, learn from caring educators, and build the foundation for an exceptional education.
We welcome you and your child to the ACS family. We are here to assist you as you begin this journey with your child.
If you haven't already, we invite you to explore the school's website and social media to learn more.
Parents can help their children get ready to start kindergarten by helping them:
- Hold and use a pencil, crayon, and scissors correctly.
- Write their name with correct capital and lower case letters.
- Identify numbers, basic shapes, colors, and patterns.
- Learn how to take turns and share with others.
- Follow simple rules, routines, and directions.
- Identify the letters of the alphabet.
New state standards have elevated learning expectations for all students. Once considered a transitional year between home and school, kindergarten now represents a child’s first year of formal education.
If you have questions about how to help your child get ready for kindergarten, please contact your school principal.
All Alexander County elementary schools are committed to helping each kindergarten student make as much social and academic progress as possible while developing confidence and a love of learning. School principals and staff are here to help your student take this important first step into education.
What You Need to Register for Kindergarten
In order to register a child for kindergarten, parents must provide:
- Proof of age (certified birth certificate) - must be 5 on or before August 31
- Proof of residency (power bill, water bill - a cell phone bill is not acceptable)
- Parent/Guardian driver's license (or another acceptable photo id)
- Record of Immunizations (most children receive immunizations at their five-year-old checkup)
- NC Health Assessment Form (must be completed by both parent/guardian and medical provider)
- Legal Documentation such as custody or guardianship
If your child needs to take medication at school, a complete medication form will be required.
Children who reach the age of 5 on or before August 31, 2022, are entitled to be screened for initial entry into the Alexander County School system for the 2022-2023 school year. Please attend the appropriate screening date for your child in the school district where you reside. Dates and locations are as follows:
March 29, 2022
March 25, 2022
March 25, 2022
March 4, 2022
March 18, 2022
March 10, 2022
March 31, 2022
If you have any questions, please call Alexander County Schools Board of Education at 828-632-7001, ext. 241.