Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: How do I get my smart phone connected to the school's wifi?
A: Fill out a Technology Request Form. You can find the form on GOFMX or our Technology Web-site.
Q: Why won't my e-mail go through?
- Double-check the address. Make sure it's correct and that there aren't any spaces anywhere. Make sure your period isn't a comma.
- Are there attachments? You can only send or receive up to 10mb worth of attachments. File size will be in parentheses next to the file name of the attachment. [1024kb = 1mb]
- Is it "stuck" in your outbox? You might need to delete the message entirely, exit Gmail, start it up again and then start a new message. If that's not enough, then throw a reboot in for good measure.
- It may be something beyond our control on the receiving end of the e-mail.
Q: How do I get blocked websites unblocked?
A: Submit an email to your principal for approval. The principal will complete the following Google Form: Internet Access Request For Faculty and you will receive an answer via your email.
Q: I received an e-mail requesting my username and password. Is this legitimate?
A: The Technology Department will NEVER send you an e-mail asking for your username and password. If you receive an e-mail that asks for your username or password--or gives you a link to follow—do not click it. This is called “phishing” and is a technique that thieves love to use. You may get phished from what seems to be your bank, from the Tech Dept. or even from Facebook. Never give out your password, especially if you use the same password for other accounts! If you’re unsure, call the Technology Dept. by telephone.
So what do I do?
Here are a few things you can do: If you want to avoid receiving e-mails in your inbox from that particular e-mail address.
- Click in the box beside the email and click on the "Move To" icon at top of the page. Then select Spam. This will send directly to the spam folder.
- If you continually receive emails from this sender. Another option is to block the sender. Open the email and click the 3 vertical dots on the right and select Block. This will send directly to your blocked email list.
NOTE: All e-mails coming from the Alexander County Technology Department will have our domain after the @ sign and should be @alexander.k12.nc.us. Click on the down arrow under the "From Name" and this will show you details of who sent the email.
Q: Why is my computer SO SLOW?
A: Factors that affect the speed it takes to do any Internet work may include the following:
- The website you're trying to load is stored at a location that has a slow server, Internet connection or faulty equipment..
- There is slow or faulty network equipment somewhere between your computer and the website’s storage location.
- The Internet Service Provider (ISP) might be having connectivity issues.
- Malware (viruses, worms, etc.) might be present on the computer.
- It might just be the computer hardware itself.
- Your anti-virus software may be running a scan.
- You might have too many windows open or too much software running at one time.
- If you’re using wireless access, it is almost always slower than using a cable to connect to the Internet.
- Numbers 1, 2, and 3 are beyond our realm.
- Numbers 4 and 5 require help from a technician. Please submit a Tech Request. Make sure you are careful with the files you bring into the school, the e-mail attachments you open and the webpages you visit.
- Number 6 requires a little patience.
- You can resolve numbers 7 and 8 by closing some programs and connecting to the network with a cable.
Q: What if power outlet isn't working correctly?A: Please let your Principal know and they will put in a work order with the Maintenance Department.
Q: Who do I ask for help with PowerSchool?A: Your school data manager can help you with training and questions.
Q: Who do I ask for help with Power Teacher Pro?A: Tracy Russell at the Central Office can help you with questions. Her number is: 632-7001 ext. 223